Monday 23 May 2011

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 (Silver) Review

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver)


Price $ 179.94
by Erik Zimmerman (MN)   Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 (Silver) Excellent Camera, few pitfalls to watch out for
 
I've had this camera for about two weeks now and so far its been great to use.

The 8x zoom is great, I used to have a sony p10 that I upgraded from that was only 3x, this makes a huge difference getting those "up close and personal" shots from a distance.

The image quality is...incredible. I'll admit I've not used anything over an 8MP camera but I can't imagine other 14MP camera's could be much better. The level of detail in the pictures is incredible.

That being said other reviews have taken issue with the low light capability and I have to agree with them....sorta. The iA (intelligent auto) feature doesn't seem to do a great job on its own in low lighting conditions. However if you select one of the scene modes and use a tripod, I've found the camera comes out with an acceptable quality even in low light.


Building on that, the iA feature fo the camera does an excellent job most of the time picking out the best settings (fstop/iso/shutter speed), its worlds better then anything in the point and shoot category that I've used before. The only spot where I've had to tell it what scene setting to use (in daylight anyway) is the sports mode. It's fast enough to capture my ceiling fan blades with little blur , excellent for a point and shoot.

The SDXC slot future proofs the camera and the speed of the cards allows for decent burst mode shooting capability. The battery seems to hold a decent charge and the lcd is huge so you can easily see what your shooting.

Some people have dinged the camera since it doesn't have a viewfinder but seeing as how there are no real manual controls on this camera (other then iso/exposure) I don't see too many serious professionals who need a viewfinder buying this camera as anything other then a small easy to carry point and shoot.

Several years ago I would have laughed if you would have said that you could get an 8x zoom, 14MP, huge LCD at this price point and build quality....I'm not laughing any more.

All in all, excellent camera and certainly recommended (low light being the kinda sorta exception). 4 stars. 


by T. Walters I love Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 (Silver)

I received this camera last week, and I'm very happy with it. I previously used a very simple Kodak EasyShare, but wanted something that would give me more zoom, and would allow me to take better close up photos.

I was a little concerned about purchasing a camera that had on-screen modes (that little Kodak wheel is so easy to use) but this has proved to be no problem at all. The on-screen modes are easy to read and understand(the icons are adjustable to be either be large or small).

I love having the entire user manual as part of the software - it was easy to read through the manual and get a good overview of the camera, and then be able to learn the more detailed features at leisure.

I have mostly used the Intelligent Auto mode and the macro setting and the zoom as well. I took a number of pictures of our 3-month old grandchild (okay, full disclosure, I took 74 pictures of our grandchild the first time I used the camera)in a variety of light. The pictures are just stunning. Clear, detailed, every eyelash shows up.

I purchased an 8GB class 6 card with the camera which I think gives me a fast save, and I can take picture after picture so quickly (the time the picture displays after it is taken can be adjusted on the camera from no time to 2 seconds) so I was able to catch lots of smiles. The camera is heavier than I expected (a good thing for stability for me) since so much of it is metal. I love the battery and usb port compartments because they are sturdy yet easy to open and close. I have posted some pics online, and they are beautiful on the screen. I had a number of them printed as well, and they look just as great. I'm amazed at the clarity of the photos taken with the zoom.

In some reviews, reviewers have complained about not having a viewfinder and having trouble seeing the screen in sunlight. According to the manual, there is a setting for the screen that makes it easier to see in bright sunlight. If it ever gets sunny here, I will try that out. So far battery time is good, so I will wait to see if I need a backup battery or not. I'm looking forward to using additional modes and learning more about the camera.

It is just plain fun for me to use, and I'm very glad to have this camera. I hope this review is helpful to others - I read many, many reviews before I purchased the camera, and I appreciated everyone who took the time to write one.

One other thing, Amazon suggested a Case Logic camera case to purchase with the camera, and I did buy it. It's a nice little case and the camera just fits, but since I will want to keep the charger and possibly the usb cord with me, I will continue to use my larger case. I'm going to keep my cordless laptop mouse in the small case instead.

Update April 3, 2011: It's been a month since I purchased my camera and the more I use it the more I love it. Although I use the IA a lot, I'm getting more familiar with the modes for certain photo situations, and now it's almost effortless to change modes, adjust settings, etc. I took some close up photos of flowers today (indoors), and they are by far the clearest, most detailed closeup photos I've ever taken. So far because of weather-related issues, I have taken only one or two outdoor photos, so I'm getting really excited about taking the camera outdoors soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment